Wednesday 13 January 2010

Rant: The 4 Programmers You Meet In Heaven

Recently I finished reading Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven, a wonderful thought provoking book. It got me thinking about the people that have influenced my own life and more specifically those that have influenced my programming career. Now rather than embarrass these people by naming names I decided to rant about the types of people you meet in your programming journey.

The Kung Fu Zealots


These people I first encountered at Uni but I've meet a few since. They're passionate about their craft to the point that their ideas and way is better than anyone else's. It reminds me of the old time kung fu movies where rival schools battle it out because their way is the only true way. Their programming skills are an essential part of their identity so a criticism of their language/framework/way is a slur on them.
The reason these people make it to programming heaven is that they are so enthusiastic about their language and so can learn heaps from them. If only they could open their minds to other ideas...

The Soldiers


I am lucky enough to work with a couple of these guys. They're the ones who don't make a fuss, don't see what the big deal is, they just get stuff done. Programming might just be their job and perhaps they really enjoy it but they've got more going on in their life. Unlikely to ever been seen in a meeting, they're just about getting the result.
The reason they'll make it to programming heaven is their no muss no fuss attitude. Its not about ego its just about results. Much can be learned from the soldiers.

The Rock Stars


Few people fit into this category but fortunately I've met one. Brimming with energy for the programming craft regardless of style, their enthusiasm is infectious. Sure they may have a specific speciality but they're open to new ideas and new thinking. They're keen to hear about what you're into, how you do stuff and don't judge, only encourage.
Pretty obvious why these people make it to programming nirvana.

The non programming programmers


Ok I know it sounds weird but these are the people that just inspire you to learn more. Practical, hands on, these people could be rock stars if they'd gone down the programming track. They could be from any industry but its not their occupation that's important but they're attitude to learning. They just can't get enough knowledge.
These people make it due to the fact that their eagerness to think something through and understand the how and why of anything also inspires.

So that's my take so far. I hate to violate the DRY principle but all of these types of people have been inspirational to me. No doubt others have had different experiences and I know people shouldn't be put in boxes. Hopefully you've got sources of inspiration in your life too.

No comments: