Sunday 9 November 2008

IDE's

I know this is an age old question - which IDE is best? My experiences so far are these:
  • NetBeans - I like the language support (Groovy/Grails) and the Matisse GUI editor. However it looks terrible on my Mac. The Swing components seem to take up too much space and take the focus off the code.
  • IntelliJ Idea - Many people rave about this one. Whilst I haven't used it extensively (only for the 30 day evaluation period) I prefer its interface over NetBeans. However the deal breaker with this one is COST. Its not free like NetBeans and I can't justify paying AUD$200 for a tool that does the same thing as a free tool.
  • Eclipse - This workhorse remains my preferred option. Whilst it lacks the groovy/grails integration that NetBeans has, it is quick and unobtrusive. I may be biased as it is also what we use at work and I find it much easier to remember one set of shortcuts. Again as a free offering its hard to look past.
As an aside I did outlay my hard earned to buy TextMate which is more a text editor than an IDE. While it is very nice and easy to use, I find myself not using it in favour of MacVIM which gives me the power of vim and doesn't lock me into a particular platform. (I will rant someday soon about operating systems).
It certainly seems to me that there are plenty of very competitive free options for someone working on their code projects. If anyone reads these posts, let me know what you think.

No comments: